Indian Curry Deep Fried Chicken, Aunty Kamachi Penang very own Indian Home Cooking Kitchen Tested Recipe. Aunt Kamachi belongs to the old school of cooking. She grinds her spice using the Batu Geling and tumbuk(Stone mortar).
But for me, I do that sometimes but most times, I use our modern day facilities, that is the grinder. But I do agree the traditional grounded spices do taste great.
So to achieve that, I grind my spices at least twice to make it finer. In Indian Curry Deep Fried Chicken, spices when added in right proportion makes a world of difference.
It leaves a sweet aromatic taste and flavor the curry. Usually we prepare our own spices. I have personally cooked this curry many times.
- 4 pieces of chicken drumstick or 1 whole chicken. Season the chicken with turmeric powder. Air dry, deep fried till lightly browned. Drain well.
- 50 gms Onions - sliced
- 50 gms tomatoes – wedges
- 2 red chillies – cut into triangles
- 100 gms Coconut Cream mixed with 300 gms water to make watery coconut mixture
- 3 ozs Cooking Oil
|You can pound, cut to slices or use your food possessor to prepare your fresh ingredients.||Secret to smooth curry, make wet paste for 2 to 3 hours before cooking the curry.||Sauté the spices. Onion, garlic and ginger then wet paste. The flavor will mature beautifully.|
- 5 dried chillies soaked in hot water or use 1 teaspoon of dried chilly powder
- 2 slices of fresh turmeric or one quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Half Table spoon of Coriander powder
- Half Table spoon of Fennel powder
- Three Quarter Table spoon of Cummin
- Half Tablespoon of Poppy Seed powder
- Half teaspoon of Black pepper powder
- OR just purchase 1 packet 50 gms Chicken Curry Powder
|Drying out the chicken first before coating with Turmeric powder and salt.||To fast cook the chicken pieces, face chicken bones downwards. You want the meat inside not to dried off the juices.||Freshly prepared curry roast chicken can be served hot or cold.|
- 4 pips of garlic
- 30 gms Ginger
- One and Half inch of Cinnamon stick or Kayu Manis
- 4 Cardamoms
- 30 Curry Leaves
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Half Cup Mint
- 3 strings of fresh coriander leaves
- Heat Oil to sauté Onion slices till lightly brown.
- Add Rempah D and fry for 1 minute.
- Add Rempah A and B and fry till aromatic.
- Pour in watery coconut cream and bring it to boil.
- Add Fried Chicken, tomatoes and chillies and simmer till chicken is tender.
When gravy thickens, add Fresh Herbs. Fresh herbs like mints are great with Curry Deep Fried chicken. Use basil leaves for fish curry, a few sprigs of fresh curry leaves if it is a very rich curry.
Then again, you might like some pickle, an onion pickle is a good choice.